Jul 18, 2010

Family Reunions and Family Vacations



(written about 10 days ago on the way back from Kansas)

We are flying south, heading back to Texas and back to life as normal, whatever that may be. And I am wishing that I had taken time to write down all the precious moments that took place this week, so that I could store them up in my heart forever. My memory continually fails me, but I will try. Moments like...



Camping out as a family for the first time. We so loved the pop-up we rented. But were super impressed with Chris's RV set up too.



Watching seven cousins between the ages of 3 and 12 romp and play and laugh; delighted to discover that blood is thicker than water.

Witnessing three of the most fantastic sunsets known to man on Lake Milford, twice with rain sweeping across the lake.

Early morning coffee in camp chairs with my brother, his wife and Rob.

Watching my dad jump off the boat in the middle of the lake to swim with his grandkids.


Late night campfires and smores until we were too full to stuff another one in.


Adult conversations into the night after the kids were safely snuggled in bed, with the awkward realization that now we are the adults and we can stay up as late as we want.


Lots and lots of hugs and exclamations of "I'm so glad we did this" and "this was so worth the drive" and "let's plan another reunion next year".





So you can tell that it was a precious time. I feel like we seized an opportunity to share with our children a bit of the love we enjoyed with our family growing up and it excites me that we'll try again next year. It was so restorative and wonderful for all the relationships involved. It's neat to take the mantle of responsibility of connecting off the shoulders of the older generation in our family and begin to carry it ourselves. This is one responsibility I do not want to fail at.





It was a blessed time. Lots and lots of photos, but many more precious memories. We are heading home with full hearts.



1 comment:

yatish said...

nice photography

http://www.yatishsbi.blogspot.com/