Apr 13, 2012

Ladies Article Contribution

(for the April/May 2012 edition of ct|woman)

Music moves us, doesn’t it? Music speaks more than words, it communicates feelings from the very deepest level of our being. Music can trigger a memory, or commemorate an occasion. I think we can all agree that music is powerful.

The thing about power is that it can be used for good or for evil. As much as God can use a worship song to stir a heart and convict a soul; Satan can use music to darken the mind and confuse the soul. Unfortunately, I speak from personal experiences during my own teenage rebellion. Music is a powerful force in your student’s life. Parents, I urge you to be informed and involved in their music choices.

So is there a list of ‘approved’ music choices for your student? Not at all. Am I saying that they can only enjoy Christian music? I wouldn’t go that far. Pastor Rob and I encourage students to be aware of what it is they thinking about when they listen to a particular song. If they are thinking pure thoughts about right things (peace, joy, love, self-control) then feel free to listen to it. On the other hand, if they are focusing on sinful things (lust, hate, self-destruction) while listening to a song then it needs to be deleted from their playlist.

Parents, get involved in what your student is listening to. This is going to take time and effort. It likely won’t be your taste in music, but it is important to know what they are putting in their mind. And who knows, your tastes may grow. There are some incredible and anointed Christian musicians singing new songs that you may very well fall in love with! New music can bring new life and growth to your soul.

Starting when I was about sixteen, my mother listened to my music. She had four children and on our frequent road trips, she let the kids take turns choosing the next cassette tape. (dated myself there, didn’t I?) As a grown adult I still send her cd’s of my new favorites – “Grandma Jams” is what we call them. She says she wants to stay current with music happenings. Now that I am a mom, I know her real motivation is a heart status update on her baby girl.

Music can be an incredible connecting point for you and your student. My children and I rock out in the car with the top down on a regular basis. We also blast the iPod in the kitchen while making dinner and setting the table or even during breakfast as we prepare for the day. Love is always the central motivation for these times together.

Your student is always listening to music. Love gets involved. Pull the earbuds and plug their iPod in to the car stereo. Start listening with them and let love lead the way.

“Sing a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth.” Psalm 96:1

No comments: