Oct 15, 2009

Just Shoot Me




I've been messing around with my camera at home lately. All brought on by a photography class I've been taking in Houston. It's been really fun, and I'm super excited about it. These pics are SOOC (straight out of camera) and shot without a white balance check. Normally, I shoot in RAW and adjust white balance in post-processing, but for the class I'm taking it back a notch to JPEG and not doing any photoshop/color tweaking. Need to take the time to set my white balance next time, it's a just a little old school for me. Our house lights are extremely yellow because they are those swirly flourescent ones, irritating as a photographer, but brilliant as a frugal pastor's wife. :) All of these were shot indoors, no flash.


Pretty impressed with my hubby lately. We've been putting a lot of effort into our house the past few weeks. Seems like we go in tangents. :) Hadn't done a whole lot since our roof last November and I'm always of the mindset that the house needs to be a priority (financially and timewise) because it's our greatest financial investment. Houses left to themselves move towards chaos, especially in our climate! So, we've been doing the big cabinet rehaul in the kitchen and baths, I just finished the final touch ups on those yesterday. I'm slowly (ever so slowly) making my way through the house repainting the trimwork. Such a process. Seems neverending, and our house is only 1288 sq ft! Today Rob worked on switching out the guest bathroom faucet. I found a deal on 2 brushed nickel faucets at Walmart the other day, so he's graciously putting them in for us. Meanwhile, I'm replacing the hardware (tp holders, towel racks, and such). We are still searching for new light fixtures (brushed nickel) for both baths. But they are really coming together! I'm so in love with my kitchen after all this work, it's a joy to work in. Yesterday I deep cleaned the living room carpets, I need to do Eli's still. Our hope for our next stint of cooler weather is to go ahead and start painting the outside, since we found that 20 gallon bucket of our precise color on clearance last year and it's been waiting in the garage since just after Ike. We still want to clean out our flower beds as well. Our final major project is replacing the living room carpet with pergo-type woodish flooring. We entertain so much that white berber has proved to be a terrible choice the previous homeowners have saddled us with. :) I'd really love the hardwood knock off in our main 'living' area. The tile has been such an amazing choice in the kitchen and baths, I guess I have to give them the crazy white carpet choice in the other rooms. And really, it's very comfy in the bedrooms. I'd be very open to anyone's recommendations for brand... We have about 5 or 6 vacation days left in 2009 and are thinking that would be a great use of it at some point here before Dec. 31.
Other than that, got a couple shoots coming up this weekend. The cookbook came in and it's awesome. Hoping to sell all 550 of them. (gulp) Maddie's been fighting fleas and I'm really sick of it. She licks off her medicine so we helped her out with a little muscle shirt. Rob and I are having lunch with one of our graduated students tomorrow, so that will be fun. That's about all that's new and exciting and fit to print. Thankful for a lot right now.

4 comments:

Sheryl said...

cool pictures Anna I am still learning how to take pictures in the house I cant get all the setting just right. UGH!!!! Hopefully Stephanie can show me when she learns or when you are up some time I can run up and you can teach me. HEHEHE I am a horrible learner some times. How many classes are you taking through them? Have a great evening with your family.

Anna said...

THanks for your kind words, Sheryl. You are always an encouragement. To shoot in low light (indoors) you need a very open aperature, like f2.8 or f1.8. Then you need to be familiar with your camera's particular depth of field at that particular focal length and aperature. Google depth of field calculator and you may find a plug in for your camera and lens. If you ate working with s point and shoot you have very little or no control over these things. Unfortunately, the wider the aperature capabilty of the lens, the more it costs! Also, changing your iso speed (up) may help significantly. Shooting at a slower shutter speed helps too, but never less than 1/30th of a second without a tripod. I don't even like to hand hold that low, with my weak wrists I'm too shaky! :) hope that helps. There are many good tutorials on the web for free, you might check out twopeasinabucket.com. They have a great photog message board.

And I have three more classes in this unit, but fully intend to sign up for more advanced classes when I'm done. It's been really good!

The Sermonator said...

Hey hon, I love the shots of Eli and Sarah. Good one of Rob too, but my, that Sarah! Such a diva she is! What fun. Isn't it exciting to progress with your house?!?! Nothing like a new kitchen to reinspire one to cook up a storm! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! Love you. God's blessings

antho said...

thanks Mom. Glad you enjoyed them. I love that one of Eli. He'd had a rough day and that photo is just so vulnerable. Such a special boy.
And yes, I'm super excited to make progress on our house. I was never very excited about our home when we bought it, it was just too new for my tastes. But the longer we've lived in it, the more we've done to make it us and now I love it!