Sep 10, 2012

God's Dream

This past weekend I attended Accelerated Minister's Training in Houston. One of the speakers talked at length about realizing your dream for your life. Early on in the session she had us write our dream down on a paper and turn it in. I struggled. This entire time I've been working on credentials, I haven't really known why, other than God told me to do it. I don't have a long term dream; there's no deep desire to run to the mission field, or to start some new ministry. All I could come up with is that I want to serve in ministry hand in hand with my husband (what I'm already doing) and to be a consistent lover of Jesus and His people, to continue to grow in Him and wisdom and humility.

This has bugged me since Saturday. I'm thinking and praying, "God, why don't I have a dream? Why doesn't it matter to me where I am going? Is there something wrong with me that I'm not a visionary or a dreamer?"

I read books, a lot of books in school. Most are written by high thinkers, visionaries, dream casters. I am not one of those people. I am a work hard day in and day out and ask God to bless it kind of girl. Reading all those books can make the 'hardworker' feel less than. Well, maybe I'm not called if God isn't giving me tremendous vision and dreams for our group?

This morning I was praying and asking God about all this. What is my dream? And I realized with a start that my dream is to fulfill His dream for me. My whole life has been about obediently stepping from one task to the other, one place to the next. I haven't seen some huge vision from the Lord, but I have seen the next step consistently. And I have tried to faithfully submit my life to His will. School has been a huge example of that, just trying to say 'yes, Lord' even when I didn't see a why. Even when it didn't make sense. A year after we started Rob and I went to the two message format and I could see His hand all over that.  God knew exactly where we were headed and what we would need to accomplish His plans for our youth group.

What I love about following the Lord is that He knows where He is going. Being omniscient, He is through all time and has perfect understanding of the best course.

So this morning I submit to you that my dream is to fulfill His dream for me. I don't know what that looks like. The further along the more things solidify, but I could have never in a million years guessed that this perfect fit of a life I have at this moment would be where He would put me, but it was never a surprise for Him.

So what about being a dreamer? I think I finally have realized that being a dreamer is important, well and good, but somebody needs to be the worker behind the dream. I am perfectly content to work hard and listen carefully for the next step for His glory. I'm just so incredibly thankful that God saw fit to include unworthy little me in His plan. :)

Deep thoughts for a Monday morning, but I was blessed by it! :)


 As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.       Isaiah 55:9 

If the Lord delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand.    Psalm 37:24-25

No comments: