May 17, 2007

Greatest Hits

Did anybody watch LOST last night?? It's one of our favorite shows. Last night was a great episode (doesn't even seem right to call it that). Anyhoo, one of the main characters wrote a 'greatest hits' list of his life - the most incredible moments he'd experienced thus far. I was greatly inspired, especially it being my 28th year and all.

So, my greatest hits at 28....

1.) Making pancakes on the open fire while camping with my dad and brother and sister when I was 8. I think that's when I first started to love to cook. Funny, cause I really don't like pancakes. Anyway, it was an amazing trip. Everyone (remarkably) got along. We fished and camped and sang songs and told ghost stories. it was pretty amazing.

2.) Campfires at Lake Okoboji. I can close my eyes and hum "Sanctuary" and be back there in a moment. The cool dark night, the dancing firelight, the charred wood smell mingled with bug repellent. I can hear the voices and feel so close to God. Camp was my first brush with the Holy Spirit.

3.) The night Rob fell and broke his tailbone. It was our first official 'date'. He was messing around and fell hard on his bum. He didn't want to accept my help - driving, getting into the car, getting out of the house. I knew if he didn't accept my help that we wouldn't be a team and it wasn't a relationship that would work. I wanted to be someone's other half. He reluctantly accepted my help and we've been teammates ever since.

4.) Our wedding day. It was simply amazing to stand in front of our friends and family and make this lifelong commitment. I love that we live it out everyday and I had no idea of the incredible journey I was signing up for, but I remember feeling like I was stepping off into my future.

5.) Watching the second line turn pink. We tried for a year to have Eli and I remember vividly the excitement and fear when the pregnancy test finally came back positive. "What have we done??" Totally the beginning of our family and it's incredible to think how God has grown us since then.

6.) Sarah being born. She was scheduled c-section and I was awake. I remember realizing she would be taking her first breaths soon and waiting for it. Concern swelled in me as I noticed the doctors and nurses working quickly and efficiently. Finally she cried and I started to breathe again myself. I was so grateful in that moment.

7.) Standing on the second deck of the Eiffel Tower with my mom and sister last year. Surveying the city below me. Pinching myself because I couldn't believe I was actually there. The whole trip was unreal, but that was the apex of it all.

I suppose I need ten, but I'll post more if I think of them. Pretty cool, huh?

No comments: