Jun 13, 2009

God Goes to Hill Country Camp

Just in case you were wondering...


Wow, what an awesome week.

Rob and I really enjoyed being head counselors. Yes, it had it's ups and downs. Ups being - getting to share a golf cart all week, lots of responsibility, fun perks like Starbucks in the am, and being the 'hands' of our guest speaker during the healing service on Thursday night. Very awesome. Downs being - policing the dress code with the girls, being the last person to go to bed and the first person to get up each day = major lack of sleep, and having to yell at Cabin 5 on the last night. But seriously, I would totally do it again and have some fun ideas on how to do it better, just knowing expectations helps me tremendously! I need to write down my post-processing thoughts so that if they ask me next year, I can rock it! :)


Our trip really began on Saturday, when we drove our own children to McKinney, TX to meet Rob's mom and stepdad. They kept the kiddos for a week, wow, that was an awesome blessing! Sare and E had a great time!! I think Sarah wore them out though, Mom now understands what I mean when I say that Sarah is a hurricane!! (speaking of hurricanes, the first name on the list for 2009 Named Storms is Anna, isn't that random??) Sarah took these first two pictures, thus the blur.


We took 12 of our own students to camp, leaving at 6:30am on our 5-6 hour drive over to Kerrville, TX. Even the drive over was fun, but ironically, the drive home was more fun!!



At camp, neither of us got to work 'with' our kids, but we stayed in the same room as them and saw them throughout the week. God really did a work in their lives, and Rob and I were both at the altar each night, praying with them. Worship was fantastic, a fellow youth pastor and his team lead and it was amazing.

Right before we left, I had an urge to get a pedicure. Turns out, that was a really great idea! And Jennifer gave me these shoes that afternoon, I'm in love! I wore them two different days this week, aren't they cute??



Pastor's Royce and Jason were hilarious this week. I couldn't even keep up, finally got to the point where I'd just smile and laugh cause a comeback was just too slow on the little sleep I was getting. They definitely made the week interesting!



I have ALWAYS wanted a golf cart. I'm not exagerating a tiny bit. Definitely when we worked at Sonrise, but even back before then! Probably dating all the way back to Okoboji in jr. high. And it was totally worth the wait. I told Rob I wanted one for Mother's Day next week, just for getting the mail and jetting around our subdivision. Plus I learned how to peel out to a stop, approach going fast and jerk the wheel hard to skid to a stop. Very fun, arriving in a cloud of dust. The other guys on our team said I reminded them of Tokyo Drift. :) We also had walkies, and that definitely kept it interesting. Let's just say the other staff is confident that our marriage is secure! Also, on Thursday Rob and I started using our iPods to dj music over the radio, that got interesting fast! You'd be surprised what youth pastors listen too!

Came out one morning to find this site on our golf cart. Love these kiddos!!

The last night was our trek to Prayer Mountain, immediately following the healing services. Wow, the weather was beautiful, you could see the stars, but it was lightening simultaneously. The breeze was great too. Very memorable evening!

These are our friends and camp manager for week 1, Matt and his lovely wife Heather. Just to be fair, this picture was taken at midnight or maybe even after on Thursday, so it was late and we were all exhausted. They did a great job this week, and were super fun and encouraging (you can't even know!) to work with.Heather and I really hit it off! She's a Nikon girl too!

These guys, Derek and Clint, (also youth pastors) were our Sherrif and Assistant Manager for the week. They kept us in stitches! Total hams! Also, extremely encouraging. You get the idea that Head Counselor is a tough job and encouragement is needed?? :) Also note the sodas in their hands, camp requires VAST amounts of caffeine. And yes, I was a good girl and the only Dr. Pepper that passed my lips was diet. And lots and lots of Spark.

These are my girls, we took 8 chickas and 4 boys. Every one of them had a good time!!

This is Tammy Burroughs, our DYD's wife. She's amazing. She took 3 of us lady youth pastor/wives out for dinner on Wednesday night and that was so nice! The best part was the prayer that we had when we went back to her house. Very cool! We are blessed to work with people like them.

This is the view I had for 12 hours in the past week. :)


Last time in Buc-ee's (one of four trips this past 8 days!) I noticed this sign and it totally cracked me up!!





Rob and Sarah were playing around in the car on the way home from McKinney today while I was driving. Found this cute picture on my camera when I uploaded. Lucky girl, aren't I??

No comments: