Jan 6, 2009

Vintage Mimery

My cousin stumbled across this video from back in 1994 (yep, that's 15 years ago) and was a sweetheart to convert it to digital format and I found it in my email yesterday. Awesome, huh? Ok, so it's a tiny video, and you about have to squint, but it's me in high school, performing a solo mime for my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary. Both of my grandparents are/were very musically inclined, so it was right up there ally. I wrote this mime for them. My grandfather passed away a little over a year ago.

And the thing about mime, is that if it's any good, it's self-explanatory. And this one is good, for a 15 year old in her first year of training - but because of the size and quality of the video, a little explaining makes it a lot easier to watch, plus you totally can't see my face (which tells more than half the story) because of the angle of the camera.

So I'm a befuddled violinist. I have some, um.... issues, with my violin, ie; getting it stuck to my chin, getting the bow stuck in the strings, yanking it out, having it fall somewhere... unbecoming... and ultimately sawing my instrument in half. Then I have to fix that particular issue for a big finish. It's fun, and I hope you can follow it.

For the record, I had no recall of this actual mime whatsoever. I vaguely remember performing for my grandparents on the boat that was rented for their party, but having wrote this particular mime for them, I'm pretty sure it's the only time I ever performed it. But I was able to get all of that from watching it, so I guess it was reasonably decent! :)

That being said, enjoy my blast from the past!

No comments: