Sep 10, 2009

Happy 32nd Birthday Rob!!


The love of my youth, (and my old age, turns out) turned 32 yesterday.

My little boy, my first born, got glasses.

and cause things always happen in threes, you can just assume they did.

There was a lot to absorb yesterday.

But God is good and all of my hope is in Him. I see all of this as possibility. Rob is 32! That's cool! I'm excited for his future. It has been so cool to watch him grow and change over the years (14 as of Janury, in fact!). I'm so grateful to God to be on this journey of life with my best friend. I have thought for a long time now that people underestimate Rob, that they don't see him like I do; all his strengths and giftings. Part of it is that there is so much of himself that he only shares with me. I'm blessed to witness the inner workings of his heart. He has so much potential and is starting to really tap into it. God is doing a work in his life and it's very cool to witness and pray for and over as it happens. Rob is a very special guy and God's got a big plan for him. I know that because I know where we've started and how far we've come. God has brought us every step of the way and it only increases my confidence in Him.

So, we celebrated 32 years of Rob yesterday. I did a little photo tribute to him on FB because he worked a 13 hour day yesterday, made it hard to love on him. :) Then my friend Jennifer made him an awesome cake, shaped like an old 80's furniture tv (ours only died 4 years ago) with the StarWars scrolling opening scene on the front. We collaborated on the idea and this is what the scrolling info said:


"Episode 32

THE TRUE HOPE...

It is a period of moral and spiritual decay in the planet Earth. The Lord saw fit to establish a new creation; Rob Thoreson. Dedicated to the calling of full-time youth ministry, this young Jedi has taken on many responsibilities and bears the scars of numerous full-on attacks from the enemy. But, fear not, the force is strong with this one, and he will lead many to victory!"


Pretty cool. I was concerned he might think it was dorky, but he LOVES StarWars (his whole life now) and it was a big hit. Jen did a great job and the cake was fantastic. I had a piece for breakfast!

I took a few shots of Eli with his new glasses too. I have to admit that I'm struggling with this a bit. Eli's eyes have always been his strongest feature and I'm just going to miss them being so prominent. But he needs the glasses, his teacher called me on Tuesday to say he wasn't seeing the board when everyone else was. It's definitely a mental adjustment. Even last night, he walked through the youth room a few times and I kept thinking "who's the new kid?" because he looks so different. I know it's for the best for him, but I can't wait for him to get contacts. I miss his giant blue-grey peepers already. He does look super-smart though. Not that he needed it. :)
So, good day. Today Rob and I are just bumming around the house. We planned on painting trim but have lacked motivation thus far. We haven't even taken showers yet today, literally just laying around the living room talking, facebooking, blogging. I think eventually we'll clean up and go out for a birthday lunch. It's nice to slow the pace a little bit though, sometimes we live like rats in a maze.


No comments: