Sep 6, 2009

Sabbath??

Such a long day.

I always think that on Sundays, though. It's just my life. I get about half way through a Sunday, and if it's not busy enough, I sit down and think "I can't go another step further, how will I push through today?". Ironically, if it's too busy, I don't have a chance to sit down and I generally avoid that question altogether.

Not much of a Sabbath.

I struggle with that. My friends up North have been discussing Sabbath while I covet their Sunday evenings without prayer service/lifegroup. That is so bad. I'm sorry, Jesus.

I love life group. I love prayer. I love Sundays. I just don't like how much we try to cram into them. And they are NEVER a restful day. I need to figure out how to be more prepared on Saturday night so that Sunday afternoons aren't quite so hectic. I'd really like to lay down and put my feet up for an hour or two on a Sunday on a regular basis. That would be amazing. I so understand my mother's Sunday afternoon ritual of the paper till she conked out on the couch. My mother is a full-time pastor and has been since I was 6. She always served multiple churches. but generally speaking, she was done by 1 on Sunday afternoons.

Today was good though. Sunday School was crazy, my jr. high kids were super hyper. We had a good class and I think they retained a bit about 'constant conversation and continual meditation with God'.

I walked into the sanctuary to find all the Missions Project pictures I had taken a few weeks back plastered all over the walls of the sanctuary. That was pretty cool. It was a really fun project, but crammed into too short of a time frame, I think I could have done a better job if I'd had a bit more time with each subject. It was still a very cool concept, but humbling. :)

Service was good this morning. Pastor Carl Hayes shared with us, about seeking God with our problems, he spoke out of Luke 18:35-43 and it was very insightful. We enjoyed briefly talking with them after service and are planning another quick trip to New Braunfels late in the fall.

Got home and got everyone fed. Then started trying to figure out what to serve for lifegroup tonight. Sarah and I ran to Target and Kroger to get groceries and propane. Came home and fixed dinner, baked dessert and cleaned up the house, just in time as students started to trickle in.

Had a great life group. Good food, great conversation. We worked out of the Book of Questions and What's the Deal With. Two really helpful 'fire-starter' books for youth. Some of our questions, I was astounded at our students answers. One in particular was "does God care what music I listen to?" These great Christian kids have bought the lie that you can listen to music with terrible lyrics and it won't affect you. We had a really good discussion and hopefully it sank in a bit. (trust me, God cares! garbage in = garbage out).

Kids started to trickle out at 8 and the last one left at 8:40. Kicked my biological children to bed - they were so tired.... and that brings me to now. An exhausted Anna, but thrilled with a productive day of ministry. I hope God thinks so too.


Tomorrow, we are having another youth pastor and his family over for an early supper and swimming. Other than that though, I plan on being pretty low key. I'd really love to scrapbook. a lot. :) We actually have a super short week this week because of Labor Day and Rob's normal day off, and also he gets an additional day for his birthday. So we are taking Thursday and Friday, hoping to get started painting the trimwork in our house.

I really feel like taking some photos too. Maybe tomorrow I'll play a bit. :)

No comments: