Dec 31, 2009

So Long 2009...

I can't believe it's here and gone already. 2009 was most definitely the fastest year of my life. In some ways, it feels like we crammed a lot into one year. Highlights?? Well, let's consult the years old questionaire, shall we??

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
learned to swap heads in Photoshop! :)

2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
somewhat better than most years. Funny, how I always think, 'this is the year I'm really going to change my life' and how it just slides away. But the reality is (resolutions or not) I have a pretty good life and my little list is only going to improve an already great life. Mostly, I love the opportunity for personal growth and change. I love the fresh slate. A friend on FB said it should be called New Grace Day, rather than New Year's Day, because we all get a clean start. Who doesn't need that?

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope. Guess we are all aging out, eh? J/K. Attended my fair share of baby showers though. And Lori will be bringing another little life into the world in June...

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. thankfully. always trying to die to self though, and that, my friends, would be helpful.

5. What countries did you visit?
never set foot out of the good ole' USA. But I did make it to Iowa, Arkansas, and Florida this year.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
last year's response was 'more free time'. Ha ha. I'd like more wisdom in 2010. And grace to use it. (please)

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 16, 2009. Rob's ordination. It was an amazing spiritual experience and a firm reminder of our calling.

8.What was your biggest achievement of the year?
turning a profit with ATP. Praise the Lord!

9.What was your biggest failure?
my stinky fender bender in June. Wound up costing a lot, in time, money, and insurance premiums. ugh.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really. God is good!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My Nikon d90. Used it most every day since then!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My kids. They are doing awesome in school. Plus they are just amazing. I love this age!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Once again, the people in Washington have sunk to a new low. It's like they don't even realize they are dragging a whole country behind them.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage. Bills. Fancy electronic devices. (Touches, Nikons, TV)

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My new Nikon. 5 days with my mom two different times this year. Iowa in the fall. Shooting the Camiolo family. (so cute!) My 30th birthday with Lori. 90th Anniversary cookbook. Weddings 2 & 3. Our anniversary session. (a lot of these have to do with photography) Christmas with our 8 and 5 year old. Ordination..... In the words of my dad "Anna, you're always excited about something!"

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
In the Valley of the Dying Sun by House of Heroes. Just a really, really good song that randomly gets in my head, often.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: happier or sadder?
Happier. Moving towards that longtime goal of contentment. Wiser. Experience is definitely on my side. Maybe a little less excitable??

thinner or fatter?
same-ish. I think. Our scale's been broken for over a year. It's a major priority, can't you tell?

richer or poorer?
richer. I think.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
scrapbook and blog. ironically (and sadly) that's my answer from last year. I can't ever tell you where all my time goes, it just does. I pretty much never stop moving (unless to edit or FB), but still there are never enough hours in the day. My to-do list is never-ending.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
forgetting to trust God. I'm learning, oh so slowly.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
It's done and gone. Fastest Christmas ever. How bad is it to be looking forward to next week when everyone else returns to work and school and I can finally get something done around here??

22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
yes. This year with our children. I've obviously always loved them, but this year I am in love with them. And of course, that hunk of a man I married, he still thrills me too!

23. How many one-night stands?
Never in a gajillion years. I'd rather have my 4270 nights with Rob. obviously.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
still love the Office. But Community is highly entertaining as well!

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
no haters.

26. What was the best book you read?
the Shack. wow. totally altered my world view, for the better. Love that book.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Lenka is pretty good. Other than that I've fallen off the music scene pretty badly lately. But the $25 iTunes gift card Rob gave me for Christmas should help remedy that. I'm holding off on it as a reward for when I get caught up on some work...

28. What did you want and get?
silly thing. An iPod clock radio for the bedroom. Rob also gave that to me for Christmas. (love that man)

29. What did you want and not get?
an anniversary ring. maybe another year.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
How sad is it that I can't think of any brilliant films this year? I will say that I really enjoyed The Happening. Still catch myself pondering it from time to time. Fame was a pretty major disappointment.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 30. Lori was here. The youth group (and Jen) had a major surprise party for me. It was utterly amazing and my favorite memory from this year. The cake was the best part! No, I take that back. Having Lori and Jen there was the best part. Wish Kimmie could have joined us. Won't heaven be awesome when everyone is there??

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I had spent quiet time with the Lord every single day, rather than just most days. He is my everything.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
modest eclectic flair. (dark jeans, tee's and flats) That's last years answer, but it still applies. I've added earrings and the occasional giant floral pin, much to Rob's chagrin. And a fabulous grey military jacket + scarves. super cute.

34. What kept you sane?
my Lord and Savior, my daily talks with Lori and that guy I sleep with. Photoshop, though sometimes I think it steals my sanity too. Scrapbooking, when I find time for it. Music. Podcasts. Really discovered the power of the podcast this year.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Stalking Tara Whitney's
blog a lot. She's really talented. Her styles a bit more eclectic than mine, but raw and passionate and I find it inspiring.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Watching our country spend itself into bankruptcy. grrrr.

37. Who did you miss?
My Northern peeps. (and Nashville-ians)

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Lori O'Dea was pretty phenomenal at Women's Retreat.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
God's Word is far more powerful than most people realize. There is life in His book.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

Live Like Your Dying by Lenka

One of these days you’ll be
under the covers you’ll be
under the table and you’ll realize
all of your days are numbered;
all of them one to one hundred.
All of them millions.
All of them trillions.
So what are you gonna do with them all?
You can not trade them in for mall.
no no


Take every moment; you know that you own them.
It’s all you can do, use what’s been given to you.

Give me a reason
to fight the feeling
that there’s nothing here for me.
Cause none of its easy,
I know it wasn’t meant to be.
I know it’s all up to me
So what am I gonna do with my time?
oh


Ill take every moment, I know that I own them.
It’s all up to you to do whatever you choose.


Live like you’re dying and never stop trying.
It’s all you can do, use what’s been given to you.

All of the moments you didn’t notice;
gone in the blink of an eye.
All of the feelings you couldn’t feel
no matter how you try.


See you next year! :P

No comments: