Mar 9, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife

Rob and I snuggled up to watch this movie together. Normally, I shy away from PG13 movies that contain nudity and sexuality. I had done my research on this one though, and knew that the nudity was due to the main character's time travel, his clothes stayed behind. We also watched with our finger on the FF button, so no innapropriate scenes for us! ;) Anyway, I've wanted to see this movie since I'd first heard of it coming out, such an unusual premise. I hadn't read the book, but heard a lot about it.

First off, I really enjoyed the way the movie was shot, kind of with a warm and dark effect, it felt like it was all a story being retold. Epic wide expanses, interesting sweeps across, revealing details about the characters. Very curious.

But the story, well, it seemed to drag a bit at first, as you were trying to tie all the pieces together in your mind. It was overall, very sad, for lots of reasons. By the end of the movie (a bit of a spoiler alert) I was just weeping. For me it was a lot about her miscarriages, that's a hurt that never quite sweeps under the carpet. And then beyond that, her realization that she never had any choice of this life, being married to a time traveler. Her destiny was set before her long before she had a chance to voice an opinion, or even develop one.

It got me thinking a lot about choices, and love and marriage. Rob and I met so young. God had called me into ministry a year before that. I said 'yes' having no idea what I was really saying yes to. Now, years later, realizing what the width and depth of 'yes' to ministry is meaning, why yes, it's a little overwhelming. But then taking it a step beyond that, and realizing even if you had the choice to make all over again, even when it's sometimes painful, stretching, growing, hurting; you would still say 'yes' because you can't imagine your life any other way. I choose Rob all over again, and would a hundred times over. It's a crazy life we have, not normal, but it's our life and I love it. I love him. And I love the God we serve. And I'm growing and stretching and learning and it's all good. Even the tough stuff, that's good too.

So needless to say, I had a good cry last night. One I've been holding in for many months. All brought on by a little movie you might want to see. :)

1 comment:

Music and Movie Treasures said...

This movie has generated some beautiful blog posts; yours is one of them.