Jun 29, 2010

The Big Catch..


again, my life is jammed on the fast forward button, or so it seems. It's such a wild ride, but I am truly loving almost every minute of it. :)

Things are good. Very good. So good that I haven't paused to catch my breath or blog about it. Shame on me, I know. But here I am today, pushing aside my TWO PAGE to do list (for this week I've abandoned the daily list and am instead resorting to a 'for the week' list because most of the projects are simply too big to be contained in one day!) and pausing to prioritize a few moments with you, our little Thoreson family history blog.

Gosh, I've missed the quiet reflection of blogging lately. And it's really sad, God has been doing so much in our lives these past few months, it's a pity not to have a solid record of it. I'm trying to think where I last left off. Well, we've mostly been throwing ourselves into our work here at CT.

Last week we spent Father's Day at church. We gave Rob a healthy Starbucks gift card, a golfing towel with the CT logo on it, and some money towards golf shoes. (did I mention he's decided to be a golfer?) That evening we spend with a couple at church and we really hit it off. I can tell our families are going to be long term friends and that's pretty cool.

Monday we took 15 students to Six Flags for the entire day. We pretty much rode every rollercoaster in the park and exhausted ourselves completely. It was great, we bonded with a lot more of our students, especially the ones who hadn't made it to camp.

Tuesday I spent medicating my back pain for Monday's adventures. Also doing laundry and prepping for the weekend's insanity. Oh, and I participated in a study on the relationship with glossolalia (speaking in tongues - yeah, that was a new word to me too) believers and personality for a gal who is working on her doctoral thesis. It was a bit of a commitment, an IQ test, a personality test, and a survey about my experiences with the Holy Spirit. Sadly, I won't recieve the results of any of the tests, too bad, I really stressed over that IQ test.

Wednesday I took the kids to library story hour and then hosted a couple of students at our house watching HSM3. We wrapped up the day with an incredible youth service, then went with a few people to McDonald's for a late supper. Got home and pulled together a couple photo orders, while talking to students on FB, stayed up way to late.

The next morning we took the kids to New Braunfels to hang with the Hayes family while Rob and I spent the next 3 days in Rockport, TX at staff retreat. It was awesome and I am pinching myself to be a part of this staff and this church. God is doing some awesome stuff. Saturday we got home, got the kids, unpacked and repacked for their grandma adventure. The usual Sunday routine was great, spent a lot of quality time with a lot of quality people, had a great lesson on 'Posing Spiritually' and heard two great sermons. Monday am the kids and I were up early and headed to to McKinney, TX to make the drop with Grandma. 13 hours in the car yesterday and I rewarded myself today sleeping in till 9.

Now that I'm home I'm focusing this week on my first Berean class, Synoptic Gospels and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's really fun to discuss what I'm learning with Rob. I was hoping to complete this first course this week, but it looks like that may have to be an act of God... I've got a shoot this afternoon and that will put me two sessions behind in editing. I'm also trying to catch up on housekeeping and laundry. Need to get packing for next week's adventures too,. :)

So you can see why it's a big deal that I stopped to write all this down, right? :)

We've spent a good bit of time as a family too, the summer is slipping away far too quickly. Hard to believe that this weekend is July 4th already and summer is half way over. wow. We leave for our family vacation/reunion on Sunday, and I can't believe it's already here, but in another way it feels like we've been planning it forever. I am sad at how many people have had to drop out. I understand they all have valid reasons, but it bums me out that family togetherness has become so unimportant for so many of us. Me included often times. I am really excited to spend some quality time with my dad and brothers and cousins and aunts and uncles. It's going to be really special, we'll definitely create some priceless memories.

And then when we return, I start working at the church as a secretary. That will be an adjustment for all of us, for sure. I'll start 3 days a week, but I'm sure that will be a dramatic change in our household.

I've tried to pause and play with the kids with this in mind, library time, playgrounds, lots of family time at Six Flags. I'm a little in awe of going back to work so close to full-time after so many years mostly home, but Rob and I have really prayed about it and feel like this is the job and the time to do it, so we are trying it. :) Might be interesting fitting it around photography, Berean, and family, but God is my supplier and He hasn't failed me once yet.

A couple photos from our adventures...
Father's Day @ CT.
The youth group at Six Flags. They are such great kids. :)

The staff in front of Crab N, where we ate the first night. Fantastic shrimp, mmmmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking of it.

A photo of Rob and I on the ferry as we crossed over to Port Aransas. It was such a beautiful night, I'll never forget it.

see what I mean? Unforgettable.

Of course, catching this giant flounder didn't hurt the unforgettability factor either! :)

feeling very blessed to be a part of this great team of people. :) And amazed that they feel that way about us, too!
Last but not least, check out these Thoreson cousins!! Gage reminds me so much of Rob's brother Matt, it just breaks my heart. Good to see him doing so well. I'm praying they are having a blast this week together. Praying for Grammy and Papa too, that they aren't too overwhelmed!

No comments: