Jan 9, 2010

New Year's Resolution # 9

This is a resolution I've been working at for a while now, certainly goes back before 2010. It's been rather like a muscle, slowly building up my arsenal of meals and the will power/ determination to sit down and plan it out.

I posted on FB last night that was planning meals for the rest of January and several people asked me to share. Today was my first real grocery shopping trip of 2010, and I wanted to go with a plan in mind. Also, my mom will be here at the end of the month, so I wanted to have thought that through as well. So far this year, we've only eaten out once, and that was using a Christmas gift card, so I'm pretty proud of us! This is a big area of 'money leaking' in our house. Our busy schedules make it easy to cop out and have fast food for dinner, but our bank account does not need that kind of abuse!

So here you go, evening meals from today through Feb. 1st (simply because my mom will be here through then and I'll grocery shop again after she leaves). If you'd like the recipe, I will be more than willing to site a source, just post a comment.

Saturday 1/09 homemade chicken vegetable soup and Rhodes bread. (made from yesterday's leftover roast chicken, smells so good!)

Sunday 1/10 brinner with Lifegroup. Breakfast burritoes and french toast, juice, milk, fruity breads.

Monday 1/11 homemade mac and cheese. microwave veggies.

Tuesday 1/12 Chicken and Dumplings. microwave veggies.

Thursday 1/14 Ravioli and Spaghetti Sauce (seasoned with sausage), garlic bread, asparagus.

Friday 1/15 Crunchy Onion Chicken, cheesy brocolli and cauliflower.

Saturday 1/16 Deanie's Beef Stew, Rhodes bread.

Sunday 1/17 Lifegroup. Walking Tacos, Chips and Queso, bars for dessert.

Monday 1/18 Tatortot Casserole.

Tuesday 1/19 Grilled Bruschetta Chicken, garlic bread, zucchini.

Thursday 1/21 Pork Chops, applesauce, microwave veggies.

Friday 1/22 (Eli's birthday party) $10 any size, any topping pizza from Pizza Hut, Moonlight Salad, Best Chocolate Cake ever.

Saturday 1/23 Chicken Pot Pie

Sunday 1/24 Lifegroup. Spaghetti, garlic bread, salad, dessert.

Monday 1/25 Apricot Chicken, rice, microwave veggies.

Tuesday 1/26 Taco Ring, doritoes.

Thursday 1/28 (Mom arrives!) Ribs in the crockpot, salad, bread.

Friday 1/29 Chicken Divan with rice, cranberry sauce and Cherry-O cheesecake for dessert..

Saturday 1/30 Chicken Stirfry (zuchinni, peppers, mushrooms) with rice.

Sunday 1/31 CHURCH DINNER, Iowa Potatoes, Sheet Cake

Monday 2/1 Steak on the grill, sauted mushrooms, layered salad.

Notes:

1.) You probably noticed I skip Wednesdays. Rob and I generally fast on Wednesdays before service. Kids might eat cereal (a favorite) or boxed mac and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches or corndogs. Always simple.

2.) I only write meal plans for evening meals. For lunches I parcel out leftovers into freezer bags so Rob has a variety to choose from. The kids eat chicken nuggets or PB&J sandwhiches, fruit, crackers, & a cookie most days. I generally have a lunch meat sandwhich. very exciting, right? but when mom is here we may mix it up with egg salad sandwiches, or maybe splurge on Panera one day.

3.) Substitutions. Yep, some nights I totally don't feel like making dinner. Or what I made isn't what I'm hankering for. For this reason I always keep a Chicken Voila (freezer dept, $3.64, feeds my whole family) and a Tony's Cheese Pizza ($2.50) on hand. I also have a few alternatives that are relatively less work, bacon quesadillas (a family favorite) and cheddarwursts ready for a quick replacement if the mood strikes. In a busy home like ours the key to a successful meal plan is flexibility. And there's always Kroger's $4.99 rotisserie chicken, which is one whole dollar more than an uncooked chicken and usually feeds 2 meals in our house. Good to give yourself some options.

4.) We are not healthy eaters by any means. But we serve small portions so I think it balances out. :) I'm not a brilliant cook, but it's edible.

No comments: