May 13, 2006


Today I became Mrs. Thoreson

strange, but true. My mother-in-law remarried this morning, a really lovely guy, in fact. They seem really happy. And for the first time in eight years, I am Mrs. Thoreson. Whenever people have called me "Mrs. Thoreson" in the past I have responded, "No, that's my mother-in-law" but now it's me and it fits. On the eve of my sixth Mother's Day, I think I have finally earned the title. :)

Really, much to my surprise, it was a great day, a great trip and a great weekend. I am relieved that it is over and that everything went well. We really like the guy she married, and to boot he has a great son too.

Starting at the beginning, we almost didn't go yesterday. We got in the car promptly at eight and Sarah threw up about 20 minutes into the 7 hour trek. I wanted to turn around and go home right then and there, but my heart wasn't in it from the start. We talked about it and decided to drive to the western edge of the city and turn around if need be. Sarah turned out to be fine and was pleasant the rest of the trip.

We met Kim at Panera in Springfield, MO for lunch. So good to catch up with her. I am constantly reminded how blessed I am to have friends like I do. We piled back in the car and I started reading the Da Vinci Code the rest of the way, pausing to read excerpts out loud to Rob and discuss. Very interesting.

We hung out with Rob's mom and her fiance (Charlie) and his son (Zach) last night, laughing and getting to know each other, letting the kids stretch their legs in the back yard and marveling at the novel idea of a fenced in yard!! Ordered pizza and Dr. Pepper for supper. yum. Called it night and had the kids in bed by 9:30.

Today we attended their wedding, a very casual backyard affair. We took pictures. It was small but beautiful, seeing two people find each other well into their lives. I pray that they will be truely happy for years to come and that Rob's dad can find that same happiness.

We ate lunch at the Dixie Cafe, a true southern lunch, it was good and filling. We headed out of town stopping at an amazing scrapbook store in Bentonville. (my husband consented since tomorrow is Mommy's day!) My mouth fell open - literally - when I saw these had-to-have stamps. Can't wait to break em open and play! I also found some chipboard circles with scalloped edges from Technique Tuesday. It was a fun half an hour for me!! We drove home, I chatted with Kim on the phone for a while and we laughed with the kids a bunch. It was a great day. I'm totally wiped out, but way looking forward to tomorrow. Seems like my husband is actually going to recognize the day, which is very exciting to me!

No comments: