Apr 28, 2007

waking up




Do you ever wake up on the right side of the bed? Typically we talk about waking up on the wrong side of the bed, feeling grumpy and spreading it around all day. But what if you wake up in an unusually good mood, with a spring in your step and your eyes lifted upward? Do you share it? Well, today I am.

Just kind of been in love with my family lately. We had a really great day homeschooling yesterday and then we ran errands, but it was just really fun. The kids were pretty good overall (Sarah had a moment midafternoon, but we survived it). We just all enjoyed each others company. Then I had a solo trip to Walmart (a total rarity) and topped it off with snuggle time on the couch and a mini cake. Don't ask, it's just a weird once-in-awhile fun tradition of ours. :)

I almost forgot. The ice cream truck (!!!) passed our house just as we had finished dinner last night, so the kids grabbed their fake crocs and hurried out with me and dad and camera in tow. What excitement for them. Then we sat on the porch while the kids ate their treats, it was so fun!

And then this morning I just woke up on the right note. The kids got up at 7am and I wandered around sleepily getting them breakfast, but then they settled in for some Saturday am cartoons and I went back to bed for some zzzzs. Wow, I love that they are old enough to handle that!! They were both really good. I think Saturday just became my new favorite day of the week!

I'm not sure if I've just finally gotten through the fog of pain and worry I've struggled with this week and that is making the world brighter, or if I'm really just in an amazing mood. Either way I'm good.

Really hoping to scrapbook today. Feeling very creative. I'm reading this book, about having amazing conversations with your kids. I'm definitely inspired. This book seems so cutting edge in it's thinking but it was reprinted in 1994. Unfortunately, I don't think enough teachers have read it and I'm considering it a God thing that I found it by accident. It talks a lot about problem solving and abstract thinking. Problem solving has always been dear to my heart, all the way back from the days of ELP (Extended Learning Program). I can see now (decades later) how much ELP effected my personality and shaped my thought patterns today and I am determined to help my children think that way too. Every day I am more excited and more firm in our decision to homeschool. I see hundreds of benefits and only a few (selfish) negatives. :) I feel like we've started an incredible journey and I'm blessed to be a part of it. Anyway, back to the book. It's very exciting, saying that we need to help our children understand the availability of information, but more importantly the ability to organize information mentally and see the big picture. I think this is something I am very good at (with the exception of math, I have a real lack of confidence when it comes to math). The book focuses on learning to 'talk' with your child about real and deep things, rather than just the simple daily things, encouraging them to express themselves and critically think. The most exciting part is realizing that there may not be one finite 'right answer' but rather many possibilities. Sounds like my entire experience at Morningside College, doesn't it? Not sure I learned anything that year, just asked a lot of questions. But imagine how far ahead a child could be if they learn to think this way at a young age?? You suddenly have a creative thinker on your hands. Maybe the next Einstein or Benjamin Frankln. Yes, very exciting.

One of the key points in the chapters I read last night was to never stop learning yourself. This has always been my philosophy of life. It was good to get this pat on the back. I am constantly reading new material, absorbing new things, creating and discussing new things. I will most definitely continue this lifestyle with this new undertaking of homeschooling. I'm just excited! So if you have small kids, or you homeschool, or stink, if you just want to have better conversations with your husband, check out this book. There are tons of creative thinking questions in the back and I am raring to go with it. :)

That's it for now, have a happy Saturday! I know I will.

No comments: