Mar 20, 2006






Coming Down
Another long day today. We started out buying our "carte orange" card this monring, an experience in itself. I'd say about 1/2 of Parisisans hate Americans, 1/4 could caree less about anyone anywhere - just generally indifferent about everything. The last 1/4 are extremely courteous & helpful, but not pushy at all. It's been interesting to learn to navigate with all the popel here and not get my feelings hurt when someone is rude to me.

We started out at the Arc De Triumph today. We took the Metro and it literally spit us out right at the Arc. Mom was so excited! We took lots of pictures and then walked up the Champes Elysees, shopping here and there along the way. I bought the kids t-shirts and Rob a house music cd. I hope they like them. We walked all the way to the Oblisque - a 3,500 year old monument stolen from Egypt 200 years ago. We stood where Marie Antoinnette and Louis XVI were beheaded (gross!). We took note of the Garden Tulleries and the Louvre - we'll be back in a few days to tour them. We then headed down the Seinne river (via the Metro) to the isldand where Notre Dame is located. We grabbed a light snack ( a citron tart, which later found it's way all over my purse!) and headed to the Deportation Memorial. It was brief and sad. We then toured Notre Dame. Fascinating outside, quite dull inside. I'm sure that's terrible, but it's my opinion, just the same.
We wandered off the isleand and to the Hotel DeVille, caugth the Metro back to our hotel, grabbing a couple quiches first - yum! I'm certainly going to miss the cuisine here when we head home.
It rained off and on all day today, making it cold, but good picture opportunities with colorful umbrellas. I think we are tackling Versailles tomorrow. Cheerio!

No comments: