Nov 10, 2007

First Family of Texas
























So today I photographed my first Texan family, more importantly my first toddler other than my own. And now I really understand why people are always amazed at my pictures of my children - because they really work that camera baby, and that's not a child's natural instinct apparently! :) This family was so much fun to work with. I think Jennifer is totally beautiful and her daughter is too! And her husband Bart really quickly developed an eye for good backgrounds. Unfortunately, Ethan (the littlest one) quickly grew disinterested with the process and our session deteriorated after the first location. I got some good ones though. I'm thinking multiple short sessions might be a better idea for families with young children. Or maybe just focusing on working one location. We visited 3 different spots and it seemed a bit much for poor little Ethan. I've really scoped out Baytown now though and I'm super excited to book again. I hope this family will go again and this time starting at our last location from today, because we barely scratched the surface. I was sorely disappointed with the Hartman Bridge photos, I should have had my fill flash on and I guess I was so concerned with trying to keep Ethan's attention I didn't slow down and think about my settings. bummer. But what a neat set up and I'm sure we can try again sometime. Also, the Texas star was a last minute idea as I walked out the door and I was pretty psyched about that! And the pink wall was Bart's idea and I love it! It's so romantic! Totally going to have to put that in my file of great ideas, right?? Speaking of great ideas, an hour after I wrapped up this shoot, Rob and I hit the Baytown Flea Market and found an awesome (somewhat nasty) giant plastic frame. It's gold and gosh and totally retro 70's but we think we can paint it bright red and it will be an awesome prop. I can't wait to get the spray and get it done, definitely before my next shoot over Thanksgiving weekend. I'm pretty thrilled about this whole photography thing, it's really fun!
So to sum it up, today was definitely a learning experience, but I think we got some good shots. I also think that next time I'm working with families with small children that it might be helpful to bring Rob along. He has a great eye too and catches things that I sometimes miss - like my pole on that waterfront picture. oops. Sometimes it's hard to see in outdoor photos with the glare on the camera. Oh well. Hope Jennifer likes them, I'm pretty pleased.

No comments: