Nov 12, 2007

what kind of kid??







My son. Wow. He has really become an awesome kid. He's always been special, but we definitely had our moments in his thematic threes that I wondered what kind of child we were raising. He's come around though. Tonight we watched LarryBoy and the Bad Apple as a family and he was enthralled with the scripture verse at the end - . Now you have to understand, we just started memorizing scripture as a family again. It was something we were good about with homeschooling last year, but lost when we moved and hadn't picked back up. Well, today I just decided it's something I really personally need and want to do and we might as well do it as a family. We spend so much time in the car shuffling back and forth to school and church, it's a perfect opportunity. Anyway, he loved that verse and dug out Sarah's white lace dedication bible (he's misplaced his) and was reading/rereading it in the King James (such a devoted young man) until Sarah threw a fit over his hands on her bible. So I could only console him by writing the verse down on an index card and he's sleeping with it now. Tell me that child doesn't have the call of God on his life?? I feel the need to pray for my kids step up to a higher level when I see things like that.

We just became members at Trinity two Sunday's ago and the church gives each new member a gift. Mine was "The Power of a Praying Parent" and I'm starting to go through it. I've read praying wife one once probably 7 or 8 years ago and was working through it a second time, so this is more along those lines, but for your children. It's good stuff. Lately I've really felt a need for personal revival in my life and I feel like it has to start in me, with me, like God's just waiting for me to take some more steps toward Him. With our job now, I feel more pressure than ever, like we aren't capable of this in our own flesh, but if we constantly rely on Him, He will be more than enough. It's scary, and exciting simultaneously. I'm really excited about this season we are in, wanting to soak it up, absorb the experience and ride the wave of God's grace and blessing. It's so easy to get caught up in the business of everyday, we are doing more than we've ever done before, but I keep realizing the importance (the absolute necessity) of slowing down, putting God first, and asking His agenda for my days. I'm finding little opportunities to connect with people and to be His hands and feet along the way.

I really love my job. It's funny, I had no idea how fulfilling coming to Texas would be for me. At first, I think I resisted, just because I never thought I'd give up being a stay at home mom for a volunteer position. I thought only a paycheck would get me out my house beyond my regular pastor wife duties. But I'm starting to see how God can fill in the gaps with the finances and bless us in new ways because I am so committed to what I'm doing to help Rob and the church. I feel like the more of me I give, the more God will take care of things. And crazily, the more needed and valued I feel. It's a really good place. And I don't feel like anyone is being neglected. Our kids feel loved and secure, our marriage is in a better place than it's ever been, and when we are home, we are home, enjoying time together as a family. I'm in awe.

Oh, and speaking of good, here's the youth room. We are almost done, just a few ceiling tiles to put back up into place and a stripe on the wall. We still need to tackle the hallway and visitor room, but they'll come in time. We need to run to IKEA again for a return and a few more lamps. Overall, though, everyone is thrilled. The students love it and it's such a functional room, it's great. Service in there is awesome, with the lights and the stage and all. amazing.

I had another family book me for photographs in the next few weeks, that's pretty exciting too. I'm really loving doing the photography thing. It's a nice outlet.

Also on the horizon, I'm going to start a scrapbooking group at church in the new year, so that will be a lot of fun. hopefully it will get me to prioritize my hobby a little more. Rob said today (to Pastor and Linda) that my scrapbooking is important to the family, it means something to all of us, our family history books. Every once in a while he really blows me out of the water like that and I think 'Wow, I've got it really good with this guy!' :)

I'm still looking for a day to sneak away to my store in Houston and play with my christmas cards. They may be late this year folks, but I promise, they will be worth the wait! We are taking a few days vacation along with Thanksgiving, kind of last minute, we realized last week that we lose our vacation time if we don't use it by Dec. 31st. whoops. So we are going to try and eek out a few days between now and then. Next year we get two whole weeks! wow. I am so looking forward to putting my feet up and going at a slower pace for a few days. We will enjoy it tremendously.

So that's my life as of lately. It's really all good. I'm starting to think more seriously about Christmas, working on my lists and trying to figure it all out. Feeling pretty blessed about it all.

PS - that's the cool frame that we picked up at the flea market. Hoping to stop by Target or Walmart (ick) tomorrow for some red spray paint. Yay!

No comments: