Jul 6, 2008

Born Again Bugles


Well, the missions auction was this evening. I'm hoping it went well, but I haven't heard from Rob yet. It was so weird being home today, on a Sunday. I always hate missing church, even when I'm sick or one of the kids is sick - it's just strange to me to not be in my pew on Sunday morning!
Anyhoo, I thought I'd be cool and put up one of my contributions to the bake sale. These are a little candy I learned to make in Illinois. I couldn't remember the original name for them, so I renamed them and thought it was pretty catchy - especially for a church bake sale. They are super yummy, so I decided to share.


Born Again Bugles

1 Bag Bugles (original)
2 Bags Wilton Melting Wafers (I like the light cocoa variety)
1 Cup (ish) Peanut Butter

Place your pb in a freezer bag, squeeze out the air and nip the tip (tiny hole!). You will use this to fill the bugles with peanut butter. I lay them all out on the table on wax paper to fill them first.
Then melt your chocolate wafers (very carefully - one bag at a time) in the microwave in short 30 second increments on high. Pause to stir with a spatula in between takes. Melting in mine takes about a minute and a half. Individually drop the bugles into the chocolate to cover, then drop on the wax paper. Let cool until chocolate sets. It also works very well to lay your wax paper in cookie sheet and thow the hot chocolates in the freezer to quick set them. Then bam, they are ready to eat! Ooh, be sure to have a chocolate buddy to keep you from eating to many or just plan on giving them away immediately!

[I would highly recommend storing your finished candy in the freezer, especially if you live in a high humidity climate like I do. Shoot, just go ahead and freeze all your baked goods, they stay a lot fresher!!]

No comments: