Jul 25, 2008

A Very Long Day

wow.

Today was definitely one of those days. First of all, it was accented by the complete and utter absence of Daddy. That always makes it tough. Sarah stumbled into our bathroom at 7am with two matted shut w/ green goop eyes and a racking cough. So went our plans for work today. I drove Rob in with the kids, dropped him off and went to camp out in the doctor's office parking lot until they opened, where I was the first visitor of the day begging for an early appointment. I could tell that Sarah was absolutely miserable. Both of her eyes were the color of her bright pink shirt this morning. So an hour later we'd decided it was a double ear infection (how that affects the eyes, not sure?) and got to spend ANOTHER hour at the pharmacy while my insurance company decided whether or not we had pharmacy coverage. Which, of course, we did. My lands, who can afford their own prescriptions these days? So now it's 11am. We run by Hobby Lobby for some foam core for Sare's invitations and then home for lunch where I thoroughly medicate two children (Eli was diagnosed with an ear infection on Wednesday). By about 1pm I realize that the wonderful antibiotic I'm giving my children makes them extremely hyper. Not Eli as much as Sare - but WOWSERS Sarah made up for it. I'm pretty sure that this afternoon and evening was one of the longest in the history of my being a mother. Sarah was just flying like a kite - climbing the furniture, haggling her brother, unplugging the tv - which she did while watching a show, mind you. She told me she was trying to skip the commercials. She was just crabby. Meanwhile her eyes are crazy red and you can tell by looking at her that she's insanely tired. So she appeared to be crashing at about 5:30. I fed them dinner (homemade mac and cheese - one of their faves) and got everyone washed and jammied. They watched Hannah Montana while I made them some cookies. We reupped on meds right after baths. And we're climbing the walls again. I put her in bed about 7:20 - she was falling over tired, and she's been up like ten times since then. Finally I just laid in bed beside her and stroked her hair until her breathing softened. She's not asleep, but she was definitely in a less-crazed state. So now, we'll see.
I'm pretty sure I earned my Mommy-stripes today. :)

Personally, I've just been in a funk lately. I think it has to do with a sinus infection I've been fighting off for a few weeks now. Plus, it seems like lately, every day I make plans they go awry and that's a little frustrating. This is the second week in a row that I didn't get to work, which puts me behind for realife, of course, and puts us behind financially, which is never good. I'm sad too, cause we had been thinking about taking the kiddos to Schlitterbahn here shortly. I've also been pretty slow on ATP and that always bums me out. But I do have a shoot tomorrow, so that will be helping my little ego there!

I think I've just been overwhelmed on all fronts lately. Wish I knew how to combat that a little better. All of my 'peeps' tell me I need to say 'no' more often, and I've been making an effort to do that, but lately I've realized that no one's really asking me to do specific things, it's all pre-decided stuff, kwim? And I guess I could say no to shoots, but that's really what I want to be doing. I think I just need a little more rest is all. Might turn in early tonight, be well-composed for tomorrow, whatdayathink?

No comments: