Feb 25, 2006

Oh my humanity.

I had just typed a massive awesome post, seriously - links and everything, and accidently lost it. To err is human. right? I'm very human. Just for the record.

I was just sharing about all the neat things we've learned this weekend. Turns out Monty was just on a tangent and that wasn't the whole thrust of the conference - it's really been about taking the church outside of the walls. Important, but in our case (with our unchurched kids) we need to adequately prepare them first.

Listened to Sy Rogers a lot yesterday. He was a transexual, now a minister. I was so intrigued by his story. He shared a lot of the reasons people turn to sexual immorality, including christians. We chose to sit in several sessions of his, one of which discussing guarding against sexual sin in your own life - sharing the warning signs with us. He challenged us to talk about sexuality in the church, because the world is talking about it and we are the only ones not discussing it - yet it's just as big of a problem in the church as in the world. He talked a lot about wrestling with our humanity and working it out every day.

We alao heard Mike Yankoski. He is 22. Very mature and engaging and humble. Unusual for someone that age. He took 5 months out of college, between his sophomore and junior year, and became homeless. He shared his story with us. Talked to us about what we can do for the homeless in America. One major thing he shared, so simple, was keeping gift cards in your glove box, to give out when you see a homeless person. Not just the gift card for a warm meal, but a few moments of conversation, affirming their value. Rob and I feel like this would be a really good missions opportunity for our youth.

God is moving me towards compassion. We heard Bono (from U2) speaking to the President at the National Prayer Breakfast (on C-span) at the beginning of the month. He talked about giving 1% of the US budget to world hunger and poverty, explained how that one percent would end hunger altogether. Mentioned that many Christians (in a country that claims to be christian - when it's convienient and doesn't offend anyone) in the the US tithe ten percent, but the US doesn't even tithe 1%. I was very impressed with Bono's ability to speak the truth in love. It was a little unexpected from a rock star, if you know what I mean. I had always heard that U2 was a christian band but didn't fly the christian banner over their band. I assumed that they did that for financial reasons, but now I'm seeing their greater purpose, reaching a greater audience, allowing them more influence. I've always liked U2 - but usually their lyrics are a little "God-or-your-girlfriend" for me. Anyhoo, take a moment and read his speech. It's worth your time, I promise. Make a decision for yourself.

Funny, too, how I see God answering prayer in my life. Thinking about the issues I was struggling with last week and God's alread got most of them resolved. Amazing how He works. Still praying about HOF. Praying if it's His will for me, it will happen. If not that I have the grace to accept it graciously. Thankful that we can come to Him with anything. Do you ever think about that? No matter how large or trivial, He cares so intimately. I am thankful.

Ready for home. We are leaving a bit early to catch the kids before bed. We both really miss them. Otherwise tomorrow is Sunday and we don't get family time on Sunday. I just want to love on them. Also ready to bring all this info back into our church.

No comments: