Feb 24, 2006

[too much information]

That's where I'm at this morning. The conference is going great. But I'm struggling with my usual - receiving more information than I can process. I took two pages of notes in last night's session and ran out of room. I'm bringing a notebook today.

The crazy thing is that I could be blogging right there in the general session. Yep, it's wi-fi-ed for all of us. They actually encourage it. You can tell that most yp's are young guys loving technology. I think it's a good idea, but don't know if it's outwayed by all the jabronies myspacing rather than blogging, or checking their email or whatever else. I'm taking notes old-fashioned style, but Rob's bringing the laptop to the next session.

Rob and I are in an unusual situation compared to most of the yp's here. They are all tired out, over-scheduled and needing recharged. We are just starting out, fired up and ready to do massive ministry - just at the beginning of our journey. "Journey" is one of the hundred dollar words at this event, along with 'culture' and 'highly caffeinated'. The point of this conference is taking the church out of the walls of the church - an awesome concept for any other youth group we've ever worked with, but our kids at HAG just aren't there yet. We have to disciple them first, give them some 'ethics' (another hot button word) to equip them to go out into the world.

Monty Hipp is talking a lot about how to reach kids, working with the government to do 'good work' and not shove Christianity down any one's throats. I think doing good work is all well and good, but if we aren't presenting the gospel then no one is getting saved, we are not spreading our light to the world, we are missing the message, the point. I'm honestly a little disappointed in the push in this conference, it's so watered down from what the AG has always been hard core on - spreading the gospel. In my opinion, there are lots of good people out there, but that's not what makes us Christians. I listen to the speakers and realize how old I am. I know that sounds funny, cause I'm 26 (almost 27) but I have the morals of a baby boomer. Not sure why, but both Rob and I are very much a part of the last generation, plus technology. It scares me, starting out in youth ministry when I already feel like we are already outdated. I pray that God can use us anyway. That we don't have to water down the truth. I feel like kids are searching for truth. I'm just not sure how to convince them that the bible is the truth that they are looking for. But that's not my job, that's God's job, we just need to be faithful in giving them that opportunity.

Now I've really monologued, but check the banner at the top and you'll know it's my perogative. I'm going to have to chew on this conference for a while. There are some really good things being said, but definitely some red flags to sit and ponder.

On a more personal note, Rob and I are having a wonderful time. We saw Narnia yesterday afternoon. It was wonderful. Rob was shocked at how much it was the Christ story, he had no idea. He said "It's like CS Lewis sat down and decided to write the Christ story for kids." Exactly. My mom read all the Narnia books to us out loud while we were young. It's very much a part of who I am. I can remember going in Mom's closet (my room didn't have one) and pressing my fingers past all her dresses and coats searching for a secret world. :) Instead I found my refuge in books.

We visited the scrapbook store in Janeville yesterday. It was good. Rob actually walked in and looked around with me, making comments and suggestions, helping me pick paper. The coolest thing I bought yesterday was a tiny globe stamp - $2.50. It will be so fun in my Paris album. Also found some paper and rub-ons. I'm excited to go home and play with Kim. I'm starting to miss my kids more, just cause I saw the DYD with his son, disciplining him in the hall. I was really thankful for Ginny being with ours, so we can really soak all this up.

Well, off to the next session.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember that they will know we are Christians by our love. That's the message many fundamentalists miss. Very Methodist of me, I know

antho said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.