Jan 22, 2006

My original thought for the day.

Hang on with me for a minute, it's a good one. So, I was sitting in Sunday School this morning, listening to Berryl talking about the Bible and how we know it's true and how to safe guard yourself against false teaching. I was paying attention, to the extent of taking notes even. But sometimes I feel God stirring other thoughts in me during sermons and classes, so I write them down on the side. I'm not talking about distractions, like to-do lists and daydreams. Legitimate, God inspired ideas.

Today I started thinking about the Bible, and how christians regard it in this new millenium. Centuries ago it was considered the spoken Word of God, hidden and protected in a holy and sacred place. Now how many of us have multiple copies? (I think of my crazy bible-college husband who collects bibles like most people collect stamps or hotrods) Where do you keep your bible? Is it sacred to you? Do you prepare yourself before you open it?

That's not even my point, but it's a great lead in. I started to wonder - has the Bible lost it's potency because of tv/movies/radio and our society's tendency to overlook violence, truth and beauty? Is it less real to us because we' ve inundated ourselves with false realities, we are super-saturated to a point of indifference. Are we lukewarm christians because of our constant worldly exposure?

A hundred years ago a man with super-strength enough to demolish a building with a single push was an incredible story, but now we've heard a hundred like it. Likewise, the thought of Jesus bringing someone back from the dead was an amazing miracle, but now we see the impossible through the magic of tv and movies every day. Mary, birthing a child from an immaculate conception in a dirty stable filled with barn animals was such a humbling story, knowing our savior's mother endured such conditions because there was a mighty calling on her life. Fifty years ago that meant something, but now we see (and know) people who throw away their unborn children everyday, or carry them to term only to neglect or abuse them from then on.

What I mean is that maybe the Bible doesn't seem as fantastic and incredible because we constantly fill our minds with the fantastic and incredible, so much to the extreme that we are unmoved by it any longer. I think of all the superhero action movies, where it's common place to fly or have unnatural strength. I think of all the television shows that tout supernatural elements, the X-files and the Mediums. I think of all the immorality that is shoved down our throats every day and realize that the immorality written about in the Bible is pale in comparison. Has our lust for entertainment de-sensitized our appreciation of the written Word?

Gravely, I think the answer to this question is yes. I'm not prepared with an answer to this accusation. Merely a new awareness, a frustration at my inability to regain my innocence, so to speak. Not that it's a sin to watch tv or movies, just sad to think how that has impacted my relationship with the Lord. I am praying that He can restore a fresh appreciation in me for His Word.

I feel a stirring in me. A change coming. It's not about me. It's not about my comfort level or my little life. It's about what God wants to do with me, through me. I can't put it in to words, but something's starting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WhoooHoo Girl!! I'm excited for you--for what God has in store for you. Allowing yourself to be open, allows the floodgates to swing wide. I have been listening to one song on that CD you gave me...don't even know the name, but I listen to it constantly, over and over..."I want the ocean, poured out on me...not just the river, not just the sea" It's powerful---Your heart is singing the same song--don't settle...God asked us to be ready or equipped, He simply asked that we be willing! =) K--